Monday, November 18, 2019

Bloodchild - In-Class Reading Response

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

I'm quite confused as to what is happening, but I'm guessing it is about an alien species using human beings as hosts to bare offspring? This is really odd to me because the story seems to emphasizes the personal connection the alien and the host need to bare the offspring.  The only depiction I've seen of aliens breeding with humans is from the film franchise 'Alien'. Either way, I'm quite disturbed by this story. I am more disturbed by the ending. And the implications of the ending scene is too disturbing for me to explain in detail.

2. What connections did you make with this story that you read? Discuss the elements of the work in which you were able to connect.

Well, this story sounds very similar to how the Xenomorph from the 'Alien' franchise reproduces their offspring. The creatures in this text seem to select a specific human host, particularly a male one, and then transfer their eggs within the host in some way. I could not really tell how from the text, but considering that the host must undress to do this, I'm assuming it's through very private means. For example, the Xenomorph transfers it's eggs through the mouth of the host using its weird tongue thing. In this text, it seems to be more... intimate? From the description, it seems it might be similar to how humans reproduce? Which is even more disturbing to me.

3. What changes would make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?

I would definitely change how this alien creature implants it's offspring into its host, it's too disturbing to me to even think of adapting in any form of medium, particularly film. The process seems much too graphic to depict on the big screen, and it seems how the process is done is important to the story, seeing how detailed it was in the text. I would use film as a medium to best depict this story, however, I personally would not watch it. However, I believe the film would best explain and visually show the story, as it's really hard to picture this world through text. I would also add some kind of prologue or intro as to what the world is, how things are living, etc. Some backstory. As it is now, it is very confusing and loses the reader quickly in the beginning. After going a bit further in the story you get the idea that this is some kind of alien creature. However, it would help plenty to point that out in a brief summary of sorts in the very beginning to understand the relationship between the aliens and the humans. Without these minor changes, this would be an unwatchable failure of a Sci-Fi film.

No comments:

Post a Comment