Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Frankenstein (by Mary Shelly) Response


From what I’ve read so far, the scene that particularly sticks out to me the most would be the scene of which Victor successfully animates the monster to life. He gets melodramatic, explaining how he was now disgusted by what he’s done, and how terrified he is of the monster. 
“How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom with such infinite pains and care I had endeavored to form? His limbs were in proportion, and I selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful!-Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same color as the dun white sockets in which they were set, his shriveled complexion and straight black lips.” Chapter V, page 75. Victor explains in great detail about his emotions at that present time, something very common in gothic literature. He also heavily romanticizes the way the monster looks, describing how “Beautiful” the creature is. Another common trait in gothic literature is romanticism. He also uses peculiar vocabulary to describe the monster’s features, very dark and dull adjectives. 
Following this, he runs out the room and tries to sleep numerous times, but begins to have terrible dreams of Elizabeth and his mother. Holding his mother in his arms as she slowly rotted away, causing him to wake in a cold sweat. This could be perceived as an omen of Elizabeth’s possible fate, as he was initially embracing Elizabeth before she changed into his mother (who has already since passed by this point of the book.) After this he gets a surprise visit by his old friend, Henry Clerval, whom witnesses Victor’s mental breakdown as he (Victor) tries to explain what he has done.
“I trembled excessively; I could not endure to think of, and far less to allude to, the occurrences of the preceding night… I then reflected, and the thought made me shiver, that the creature whom I had left in my apartment might still be there, alive, and walking about. I dreaded to behold this monster; but I feared still more that Henry should see him… My hand was already on the lock of the door before I recollected myself. I then paused; and a cold shivering came over me. I threw the door forcibly open, as children are accustomed to do when they expect a specter to stand waiting for them on the other side… I stepped fearfully in… my bedroom was also freed from its hideous guest… when I became assured that my enemy had indeed fled, I clapped my hands for joy… I was unable to contain myself. It was not joy only that possessed me; I felt my flesh tingle with excess of sensitiveness, my pulse beat rapidly. I was unable to remain for a single instant in the same place; I jumped over the chairs, clapped my hands, and laughed aloud. Clerval at first attributed my unusual spirits to joy on his arrival… but… he saw a wildness in my eyes… my loud, unrestrained, heartless laughter, frightened and astonished him… I imagined that the monster seized me; I struggled furiously, and fell down in a fit… he anticipated with such joy, so strangely turned to bitterness. But I was not the witness of his grief, for I was lifeless, and I did not recover my sense for a long, long time.” - Chapter V, page 78.
This is an even greater example of high emotions being played out to the reader. The intense, erratic and lengthy description of all the emotions/feelings/thoughts going through Victor’s mind as his fear of the creature increases. Almost every action he makes is followed by an emotional adjective, to emphasize the emotions Victor is experiencing. Something gothic literature most commonly does to further the suspense and fear in the story and the reader.


No comments:

Post a Comment